Tuesday, July 31, 2012

In the Gallery: The Moment It Clicks

The Moment It Clicks: Photography of Kim Johnson
The Mary Bishop Memorial Gallery at the Crawfordsville District Public Library presents the extraordinary work of local photographer Kim Johnson. The photo exhibit The Moment It Clicks runs through August 29th. When asked about her thoughts on Photography Kim responded, "Photography allows me to cling to the awe that I feel when I am looking right at the face of God through a new baby, a butterfly, or a tree in the fall, or when I am capturing God's laughter through a family that is happy to be together, or discovering again God's amazing creation in a pair of sparkling blue eyes."

Kim Johnson was raised in Crawfordsville, received her Bachelor's and Masters degrees from Purdue. She explains how she became interested in photography, "Photography has always been a hobby but really began to take shape when I started shooting my own photos for the marketing work I was doing. I became involved in a local art show, sold a few pieces, and started getting requests to take portraits for friends. Since then I continue to fall more in love with photography every time the shutter clicks.

"My "day job" in the Communications Office at Wabash College is intertwined with writing, design, and photography. I am also a wife and the mother of a four-year-old that, like most four-year-olds, does not stop moving unless she is asleep."

Kim says she has two simple goals with my photography: "bring glory to God by helping people capture the big and small miracles of life – because truly, every moment we continue to move and breathe and love and live is a miracle; and second, to walk away from every shoot saying "that was the best work I have done." Her work, as demonstrated by the over 100 images in the gallery, proves that she is achieving those goals.

The Mary Bishop Memorial Gallery at the Crawfordsville District Public is located at 205 S Washington Street in Crawfordsville. Hours for the gallery are the same as the public library hours, Monday through Thursday 9 am to 9 pm, Friday and Saturday 9 am to 5 pm, and Sunday 1 pm to 5 pm.

No comments: