Monday, May 07, 2012

In the Gallery

Picturesque Beauty: A Photojournalist's Point of View

Andy Barrand inherited his love of photography from his father, Alfred. He learned the basics in a dark room at their Fort Wayne home. After taking some photography classes during his time at R. Nelson Snider High School, Andy studied photojournalism at Ball State University, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1996. While attending college, he spent weekends freelancing for a newspaper in northern Indiana. His love for Photojournalism began at a younger age though. "While in high school I was photographed by a newspaper photographer taking pictures of tulips at a park in Fort Wayne," Andy said. "It was then after seeing my picture in the paper that I realized this was something I wanted to do."

Andy spent the next 11 years working in northern Indiana. During those years he traveled the area's back roads and small towns -- always with a camera in tow to capture flora, fauna and people. In 1999 Andy was selected to participate in the 51st annual Missouri Photo Workshop, a week-long, intensive program where he worked with photo editors from Time and National Geographic.

During his career as a newspaper photographer he has won more than 30 awards from the Associated Press, Hoosier State Press Association and Indy Pro Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Andy moved to Crawfordsville in January 2008. He began working at the Journal Review as a staff writer, and is now the night editor. Andy has also done extensive sports photography and portraiture work. In his photography, Andy takes the photojournalistic approach, preferring to take candid shots that tell a story rather than taking posed photos.

"Over the years I have worked to perfect my craft learning with every assignment I shoot. One thing I have learned, that they don't teach you in college, is the importance of waiting on that perfect shot. Although getting that one shot is sometimes luck, being in the right place at the right time is always a good thing. While on assignment you have to put yourself in the middle of the action to get the shot you want. If there is one thing I enjoy shooting the most, on the newspaper side of things, it is sports photos. It is the constant action that drives me to capture that one game defining moment. When shooting for fun I still like to take my camera and explore the nature in and around Montgomery County."

Andy and his wife, Jamie, have two children. Danielle, 21, is a college student studying nursing. William, 10, is a fourth-grader at New Market. "I have to thank my family for all of the support they have given me over the years, pushing me to always strive to get better," Andy said.

No comments: